PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR 15
Thread: SDSR 15
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2015, 11:20
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
A depressing read in the a Telegraph, but most likely to be cherry picking the worst case scenario as that particular paper has been making a real push for defence to be recognised as an issue in recent weeks and months.

So despite the depressing nature of the article, it is good to see that people are starting to wake up and accept that defence is a key issue - whether the PM likes it or not. And if the PM is such a staunch supporter of defence and the issue lies with the Chancellor dragging his heels, surely the PM can issue D&G. It might be a bit of a 'courage & values' moment, but if he is being repeatedly blocked in an area he both believes in and acknowledges as vital to the national interests, it would surely be wrong for the First Lord of the Treasury not to overrule the Second Lord of the Treasury. A peerage recognising his excellent service as Chancellor would be all that's required as members if the HoL are not normally permitted to hold that particular office.

Or am I having one of my fanciful dreams again of a PM with a bit of backbone willing to do what's right rather than popular? Nurse - is it tine for my pills again?