PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangerous Appointment
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2015, 09:08
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Hawk Down

Well lads, since it seems to be 'Story Time' on PP ... and Jerry G has mentioned the subject of Bob Zee's missing tail rotor ... I thought I'd tell you the full story ....

In March/April 2002, together with Jerry Grayson and that super American film pilot, Bob Zee ... a couple of German pilots and yours truly, we found ourselves on a film shoot at Siddi Massou, just north of Morroco's Sale Airfield. Ridley Scott, (before he became Sir Ridley) ... was filming the epic "Black Hawk Down."

Sir Ridley, wanted a shot where I was tasked for an OGE hover in the copy 'Littlebird' ... MD's 500D 'Story Ship' ... positioned precisely 125 feet above Bob Zee's MD500 hovering at 50 feet AGL. Jerry would have been 'Camera Ship' hovering above. Looking down I spotted a gang of local kids chucking up stones at Bob's machine. I called out a warning over the R/T. Bob had seen the gathering too. Security Land Rovers promptly rounded up said kids and shoo'ed them away to their local village. We didn't get the shot Sir Ridley wanted, so were tasked back the following morning for a second go.

Once again, holding the OGE hover above Bob Zee's MD500, I could see the kids were back! This time they'd cut a man-sized catapault from a lorry inner tube and with two stakes firmly fixed to the ground, were firing melon- sized rocks more accurately. I called out to Bob, but too late as a well-directed missile struck Bob's tail rotor. Horrified, I watched from above as Bob's 500 slowly spun clockwise to the ground but, being made of sterner stuff, Bob judged the re-application of power perfectly for a soft non-damaging landing.

I landed alongside so the engineers could 'borrow' my T/R assembly to replace Bob's damaged item. He was able to fly off and with my T/R assembly returned later - I did a ditto back to base.

I'm told ... when interrogated later, none of the kids would own up to the prank, but at school the word was out ... the locals had actually brought a 'Black Hawk Down!'

And for Jerry, thanks for your fun words. Yes, please let me have a copy pic when convenient. I take it you have the 'ant racing' picture. Best wishes to all PPs. Dennis Kenyon.