PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangerous Appointment
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2015, 04:45
JerryG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like to have copy of our BHD pic please. I have the one of you and me (I) crouched in the desert sand ... 'Ant Racing' or were we discussing film tactics?
That was definitely ant racing in the only quiet ten minutes we got (because Bobby Zee had gone to find a new tail rotor!). I'm in the UK at the moment but will scan my photos when I get back to Oz in April. I'll see if I can find some incriminating ones of Geoffers whilst I'm at it, shouldn't be too hard!

I have PM'd my email address.

Somehow my earlier post lost a chunk of general advice that might be helpful to all aspiring aviator/authors. I thought I'd been censored by the mods but since everybody else is linking to their books I'll give it another go ...

My book comes out this Thursday in the UK. We vacillated between self publishing and going the harder route of trying to find a mainstream publisher. In the end we chose the latter and it was definitely worth it. The issue is the balance between how much you receive (I get under 1GBP per book on a 16.99 RRP ... my Oz laptop can't type pounds) versus the clout they put behind it. I'm a very small fish in a very big Bloomsbury pond and the particular arm I'm dealing with (nautical) publish more than 150 books a year. Never the less they have achieved three BBC national radio appearances for me this week plus reviews in Pilot Magazine and a launch event at the National Maritime Museum etc, all of which would have been very tough to achieve on my own.

Another route worth considering was followed by my favourite book of this year "The Martian" by Andy Weir. He self published online (most paper self-publisher routes seem to be scams) but just one chapter at a time. He built such a momentum that he was then picked up by a major publisher who paid a good sum for the rights, and Ridley Scott has just finished shooting the movie. I guess he can probably give up his day job now!

BTW - love to see any ppruners who can make it on Thursday to Greenwich Author Event at National Maritime Museum - Things to Do - visitlondon.com