PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway excursion by DL MD-80
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2015, 00:55
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find tat most passengers fall into two main categories, the frequent flyer who knows what to expect and the occasional/first time flyer who may well have fallen for the hype.

It is the former that is more likely to be the problem, familiarity breeding contempt, or at least a relaxation of awareness. The infrequent flyer is far more likely to pay attention to the safety card, announcements and be aware of their surroundings.

I generally pay, especially on long haul, either for exit row or twin seats, not for any reason of safety but it is easier to get up for the toilet, to take a walk or just stand for a while without disturbing others. In buying an exit row seat I agree to assist in an emergency, that is why I know the door operations by heart and can don't a life vest blindfold. At going on 68 I'm totally able bodied but the minute I couldn't open an exit door or felt anyway infirm I wouldn't book an exit row seat,yet I have had crew seat people with mobility difficulties next to me and, on one trip from Rio refused to have a woman next to me who was retching when she boarded the aircraft.