PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway excursion by DL MD-80
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2015, 00:28
AirScotia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Admit it, sitting cosily and happily at your computer your only concern is to exit a crash scenario with everything you took on board. I dare say were you ever in a real evacuation you would be pushing and shoving with the rest to get out and as far away as possible before the situation deteriorated to one of unsurvivability.
Actually, I'm the world's most safety-aware passenger. I drive my family mad making them count the seatbacks, I read the safety card as soon as I sit down, and I personally paid to go on a BA course to learn how to open the emergency doors, go down a slide and get the life vest on (and no matter how much you sneer, many able-bodied intelligent people had problems with that). I carry my documents and inhaler in a plastic pouch which I put in the seat-back pocket. I always have a scarf with me for wrapping round my face in case of smoke. I'm the model passenger.

However, not many travellers are as anal as me, and I fully understand why. They're sold a glossy service, not the idea that they're strapping themselves into a metal tube and allowing two people they don't know - at least one of whom may be barely more qualified than the occupant of seat 22D - to take them 40,000ft into the air. Stop selling the glossy service, and start reminding passengers that they're doing something potentially dangerous, and then they'll maybe start taking safety seriously.

You could stop giving them booze, while you're at it. That's not exactly a message that they might have to pay attention and get zippy, is it?