PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RCAF CF-18 Training Course Documentary Series - "Jetstream"
Old 8th Mar 2015, 19:19
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
BV,

I only made the comment to try and stimulate some thought on whether RAF FJ pilots should still use "British Officer Coming Through" as their answer for a lack of knowledge. I did a USAF Exchange which was very illuminating! One thing that I benefited from was improving my RAFG learnt knowledge of Procedural Flying. I hate to admit that even after 30 years of FJ flying I was not totally at home with operating anywhere in the world. Exercises such as Golden Eagle, flying into Singapore, Hawaii and Penang highlighted how little we knew.
When I flew the Dominie I made it my mission to learn how to do it properly. With the time and right people to ask it was not too difficult. Even the vagaries of Oceanic Flying were not beyond comprehension. I ended up wishing that I had possessed all that knowledge whilst stumbling around Europe in my F4 or trying to fly an approach to LAS in my F3.
My only point is that the RAF operates throughout the world. The days of follow the "Big White Bird" are long gone. Often, FJ pilots are expected to take ac to far away places with little or no support. I was just wondering if we prepare for that event as well as the Canadians?