PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RCAF CF-18 Training Course Documentary Series - "Jetstream"
Old 8th Mar 2015, 18:15
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
RCAF CF-18 Training Course Documentary Series - "Jetstream"

Dominator.
I sense an agenda so I shall choose my words carefully. I'm not accusing you of being malicious though.
As an RAF FJ guy I found the procedural nature of IFR flying in Canada/USA strange to say the least. In the UK we are spoilt in that we can climb up anywhere, speak to a military controller and get pretty much direct vectors to home base at a moments notice. That is not the case in N America where you are treated just like everyone else. It's not a problem in the Midwest and the cold North but once you get to areas such as central California you cannot expect to get everything your own way.
Once you get used to the system here it actually prepares you much better for civil flying though because you have to be far more clued in to the rules and procedures.
I think it would be of great use to operate into busy civvy bases in Europe with multiple runways for the added experience it offers. However, light/medium approach category aircraft cause headaches for ATC when mixed in with heavy traffic and when you're not RNAV equipped you mostly end up with vectored ILS's or visual straight ins anyway. Still, when it does happen, flying a full STAR and a procedural approach with single pilot ops and nothing but radio aids, backed up by a good INS of course , is definitely a challenge. Especially when the controllers don't understand the Queens English.
BV