PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you go flying when holidaying abroad?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2015, 17:46
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the '80s we went to Guernsey on holiday, where I hired a Tomahawk for some island-hopping (landing at Jersey and Alderney) and sightseeing with Mrs SSD. Before going I'd contacted the flying club in Guernsey and the day before the hire I had a check-out with them (I had some PA38 time already so I wasn't new to the aeroplane).

Years later we went to USA. I didn't bother getting a US licence so we hired a 172 with an instructor from Kissimee. I had the left hand seat and flew the aeroplane at all times, the instructor being in the front right seat. We flew to Cape Canaveral where I got a clearance to fly along the Space Shuttle runway (but not to land there). Then we did a touch and go at Orlando Executive, before landing back at Kissimee.

Later on that holiday I noticed a Waco biplane giving pleasure flights over Clearwater so I tracked it down at Clearwater Air Park. The owner agreed to put the stick in the front cockpit (he flew pax without it usually) and let me fly the Waco with him in the back cockpit. He even let me do the take off and landing (my log books showed I had a lot of tailwheel time).