PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrison Ford Crashed
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2015, 09:54
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun Shot, Basil!

I've seen that image before, but it is still fun. I used to live/work in the neighborhood and can tell you that it does NOT look like now...
The Penmar golf course is the only safe dump before the sandy beach and has been used MANY times for EFATO events. A tiny left and some open space is far better than dense, mostly small, '50s single family homes!
Mr. Ford is an experienced pilot, has flown from Santa Monica for years and he certainly knows the territory. The only "Media Reported" item (always suspect) was the reported request for an immediate return to SMO, presuming a near 180 degree reversal. While a +/- normal instinct, pilots of light aircraft are taught that that is a horrible, often fatal choice. (Not enough altitude, speed or simple K. ENERGY to remain flying without power during the turn. Mr. Ford certainly knows that, but at the instant of his call, he MAY still have had SOME power available. It did not last long... I'm sure that Mr. Ford will recover and return to flying.
Aside: A relative lives not far from SMO's departure end; they hear they all the time. Said relative's report is that MOST pilots angle slightly left, over the golf course until they reach the coast, all if ~~1.5 - 2.0 miles distant. A few noisy jets fly straight, but the smart pilots angle a bit and bother the golfers when possible.
SMO, formerly Douglas Field, the home of the DC-3/C-47 is an icon and generally safe airport. The RWY at SMO is perfectly OK for the market(s) that it serves and will likely stay around for many more years, What SMO cannot do is expand or lengthen. The simple topography of the place dictates that the runway cannot be extended, by even a foot in either direction.
I do not believe that SMO has ever hosted a 'primary' AF-1 aircraft, but Marine-1 (Think Reagan era) and countless second-level aircraft have landed there countless times. To my knowledge, at least in the early 80s, SMO was equipped with stand-by communications facilities for Presidential use, if needed, activation requiring only 'pulling the picks.' The several systems were tested regularly and if the president or a very senior representative was in the region, the 'picks' were pulled and instant communication with the W.H. switchboard was established. Since this protocol is likely still in effect, I won't say where it actually happened. There was some on-airport work necessary, but it was minor. I am ashamed to admit that those details were also executed during most of Nancy's solo visits, the W.H. always paying the substantial bills. Also to my knowledge, those communications facilities were never used by a president, transiting SMO. There (are) designed as backup facilities, for use when/if the primary links fail. At the end of the day, the Command Authority is NEVER isolated or out of touch with his (her- pending) action staff.