PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 QRH Loss of Thrust on Both Engines - interpretation question.
Old 8th Mar 2015, 09:12
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
B737 QRH Loss of Thrust on Both Engines - interpretation question.

As always, different simulator/check captains have personal opinions on QRH interpretation.

The B737 QRH Loss of Thrust on Both Engines memory items are a case in point.
The stated objective according to the QRH is to restart at least one engine.

The actions include placing both engine start switches to the Flight position, and placing both start levers to cutoff. When EGT decreases, both engine start levers are set to idle detent. Hopefully, one or both engines will start depending on airspeed attained during the procedure. If one engine starts using that procedure, then simply follow the QRH instructions.

But if neither engine starts, the QRH then says if EGT reaches 930C or there is no increase in EGT within 30 seconds, the engine start lever for the affected engine (or, in my words, both start levers, if neither engine starts) are set to cutoff and then to idle detent again. If EGT again reaches 930C or there is no increase in EGT, repeat as needed. End of memory items

Advice on how many times that process is repeated is not given in the QRH and this then becomes wide open to personal opinion of the check pilot and or the candidate. It becomes a no brainer who wins that argument

One proponent took the view that only one attempt should be made using both start levers as above; even though the QRH statement was clear when it says "repeat as needed."

It was suggested if the first attempt is unsuccessful in getting a start on either engine, the same process should be repeated but only on one engine at a time instead of both engines simultaneously. The QRH does not say that and does not elaborate. It just states "If EGT again reaches 930C or there is no increase in EGT within 30 seconds repeat as needed. In other words repeat the original memory items.

So it seems a matter of personal interpretation. I know what I think. What do you think?