PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Pilots Not Happy
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2015, 06:23
AUTO/MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What very many posters seem to fail to understand is that Norwgian from the start of the transition from a small domestic turboprop operation to an international B737 operator was one of the few places where you could buy a job by paying for your rating.

Most of the guys back then happily joined, buying their job, not really thinking more about it or reflectintg over how the goalposts and standards of an entire industry were moved as typeratings used to be a cost for the employer
at the time. Apparently not caring much either, only happy to join an innovative operator promising a new future for airline transport.

Then the owner/operator decided to move the goalposts again by stopping the hiring into the airline and creating a subcontractorbusiness in to the same flightdecks. Bitching ensued but not to the point where the various European cockpit assosiations and unions were ready and geared to support their colleagues because a deal that didn't affect the initial job-buyers was made.

Given comfortable time to adjust and tune the operation the owner/operator struck again. This time by moving the goalposts by trying to get everyone get under less favourable contracting.
Why not, as any- and everything dished out before was accepted.

Happy to accept any corrections to factual faults in the above.

Now being strange or on high horses might be a matter of perspective I guess.

Strange:

Do I believe that Norwegian core pilots are fighting a battle for the sake of all of us?
Not really, they are mostly getting what they paid for.

Do I support their case?
Definitely. I have no choice and their business is affecting my business.

Funny because I still (sentimental reasons) hold a copy of the polite letter to decline the kind offer to join the Norwegian succes story from more than ten years ago sent when asked to pay for a rating to join a "small but growing company that will take the lead of European skies"

Norwegian (core) pilots not sticking it to the community by buying a rating are easily counted.
Likewise the contributors to this forum who seem to think buying a job makes you a professional instead of a customer.
Most of the followers likewise.

High horses:

Consumer advice/disclaimer
All of the above is written on employer provided hardware on paid time off excluding any of the annual eight weeks vacation, user(s) discretion mandatory.