PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why not a sidestick on the Typhoon ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2015, 19:49
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Personally, I think the argument about being able to fly the aircraft with either hand on a central stick is to quote my favourite USMC Lt Col, 'Hollywood crud':

1. There aren't throttles on either side of the cockpit so landing is going to be a tricky and you are certainly 'out of the fight' and will shortly fall victim if you're still in one!

2. The chances of being in any fit state to continue to fly having had either a cannon-shell, expanding rod, fragmentation or shrapnel penetrate either your body or the cockpit is exceptionally small (very sadly Flt Lt Steve Hicks in 1991 was killed by the warhead of a SAM - his pilot survived but the aircraft was unflyable and he left it shortly afterwards). Even if you survive, unless you're in the overhead then you will probably bleed out if you received such a wound as to stop you using your right arm.

3. Flying an aircraft with the other hand is like left-foot braking in a car - it takes a bit of practice! I found this out the first time I flew an aircraft with my right hand on the stick and the left hand on the throttle having flown bugsmashers with my hands the other way around - all over the place for the first 10 minutes!

LJ