PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why not a sidestick on the Typhoon ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2015, 12:39
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Gums - "what's one gee" I bet you would have liked that extra 1g in your A7 SLUF when you went head to head with a Viper!

As for the reclining seat and neck strain. I remember flying with a guy at Kleine-Brogel in a B model and he explained that you shouldn't keep your head forward all the time and let it rest back whenever you can. It all felt right to me except for the control stick - even with a little bit of movement it still felt strange. Overall, it felt like a star-ship compared to the ergonomic slum that was the Lincolnshire Land Shark (F3). The Typhoon didn't feel much better and if it hasn't changed in the past 5 years since I last went in one, then it is quite frankly embarassingly-underwelming for a cockpit one generation on from the F3. The F22 and F35 cockpits are examples of where the Typhoon should have been.

Finally, a story about G-tolerance and aircraft design. I was being shown around a Mirage 2000C by an exceptionally short French fighter pilot in the late 90s. Scanning around the cockpit I asked where the G-meter was - the Frenchman replied "I am ze G-Meter. I cannot pull more Gs than the aircraft can take". Now considering he was short, smoked, drank like a fish and had a few extra pounds that he shouldn't have been carrying, then I guess his blood pressure was higher than the average - so I guess he was good for 10G+!!!

LJ