PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to Fly (P2F) in Asian carriers
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2015, 10:44
microkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Range Flyer, let me give you some advice.

You need to get rid of this misconception that in order to progress, you need to fly a TurboFAN. It`s a common misconception amongst most pilots which may have been true years ago but not in todays industry.

Next Generation Glass cockpit heavy TurboPROPs (i.e ATR 72-600 or DH8-Q400) are career aircraft just as much as an A320/737. Turboprops are coming back in fashion and larger versions (90-100 seats) are likely to be around in the next few years. These are likely to be extremely close to a geared Turbofan so the gap is closing between the turbo-prop/fan perception.

It`s the airline as opposed to the aircraft type you need to be concerned about. For example, I prefer to fly for regional carriers as opposed to LCC`s as the lifestyle can be a lot better. The conditions in LCC`s can be pretty crap to say the least and these operators tend to operate A320/737. Another misconception is that you get paid more in LCC`s compared to the regionals, NOPE, you have to fly more (longer sectors) to earn that extra cash. The days are much longer as a result. Even the conditions in the major carriers for the medium jets are deteriorating in order to compete with these LCC`s.

However there is one exception though, if you have a particular desire to fly long haul then these operators will likely want you to have medium sized jet experience under your belt.

If you want to see the world, go contracting on a large turboprop, you see more of the world than you would just flying long haul. And of course contracting rates for these types of turboprops are just as much (if not more in some cases) than other larger types.