PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway excursion by DL MD-80
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2015, 09:41
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flap62
AirScotia,

I do wonder sometimes if we should have a more rigorous vetting procedure before letting people fly. If you block me and my familiy's way to an exit in an emergency evacuation while you get your phone, laptop, man bag or whatever then you better brace yourself fella.
Nothing like a brawl breaking out in the aisle to increase the speed of evacuation.
There do appear to be some posting here that would cause additional problems by being 'forceful' (some would call it panic)

People are going to want to take important stuff, because otherwise, if it survives the crash, it will almost certainly be stolen by other pax or even the airline or airport staff (as happened in the South West wheelbarrow case The Crash Landing of Southwest 345 | Nick Bradbury ) and some things like immigration papers passprts can be irreplaceable do not expect someone to leave those.

Some thought needs to be given to how to handle pax who have such valuable and attractive or irreplaceable items. Perhaps advice on use of a small document bag of a set size. Other larger items like laptops will have to be left on board - but the airline MUST meet its duty of care of the pax belongings otherwise the pax will take that duty of care into their own hands and end up in hand-to-hand combat in the aisles with the people seat surfing past them.