PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 6th Mar 2015, 21:45
300hrWannaB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on message.....

45 hours is the minimum number of hours for a PPL course. The average is apparently about 75 judging from conversations. I took 90. Does that make me worse? I don't know, I just took 2 years, including parts where I did a lot of circuit flying and feeling like I was going nowhere. Seem familiar? Weather breaks in winter were a significant issue.

Calm winds and long runways are NOT the answer to good landings. Actually, I HATE such days. I could get a fridge to float in ground effect on such days.
Light, low wing training aircraft do have a habit of floating along. Spam cans like c150s and c172s virtually land themselves. I did try flying an Arrow once. The practice engine failure taught me that the glide angle was similar to flying a grand piano.

Fly in a strong/ gusting breeze (remembering your x-wind limits) and you will want to have a bit of airspeed spare. The inertia of your aircraft is your saviour. If the gust eases, you will sink if you chase the airspeed. Keep a little in hand, and expect that lump of sink at the fence line. When in doubt, listen to the most experienced SEP instructor that you can find.

Stick at it. There's some great pointers here. Even the airlines insist on pilots flying a stabilised approach, because it's well known that you can't often make a good landing from a bad approach.