PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 6th Mar 2015, 15:08
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every once in a while these forums are worth their weight in pure gold when we get polite discussions going with a mix of inexperienced and very experienced pilots involved.

We have some real experienced people here some of which I know like Pilot DAR who was kind enough to have visited me at my home.

So lets keep this going and I want to very clearly enforce the fact that flying an aircraft has far to many variables to allow for one size fits all solutions and fixed ideas on conforming to any one technique.....such as a stabilized approach is the cure all for a good landing.

Nothing could be further from the truth, yes generally speaking a stabilized approach makes it easier to produce good landings.

However it is a fools paradise to believe that the stabilized approach will be the best method for a safe landing all the time.

I firmly believe that every airplane should have one of these installed between the airspeed indicator and the altimeter.

Home | Alpha Systems - AOA

I would suggest those of you who are not familiar with this instrument take the next few hours of spare time and read everything on their web site.

I will continue this discussion in due course and discuss practicing landings by using a method we teach in gyroplane flight training called " Crow hops "

I should not really get involved in these discussions because I am supposed to be retired but I guess it is just in my DNA.....like the saying goes " There is no whore like an old whore "

i