PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 6th Mar 2015, 14:08
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
you should be able to play the controls in the flare without undue pressure and not feel like your pulling on a ten ton bag of potatoes
I wouldn't adopt that technique universally, for three reasons:

Some planes are more heavy to flare than others, and with variability for C of G too. Get used to being ready with some muscle.

Trimming zero pitch force to crossing the fence is fine, but after that, in an ideal landing, there should be a more or less steady, progressive application of back pressure until you touch. For most types, trimming that out will not be practically possible, and if you did manage to trim such the plane touched down trimmed to neutral pitch force, you would have so much nose up trim applied ('cause you'd be practically trimming to the stall) that if you had to go around from there, you'd have a massive amount of trimming to do to prevent very high pitch up forces with the application of power.

Trimming to zero control force will provide you with the least possible tactile sense of what the plane is doing, and lesser stability. Leaving a little pitch force to fly against will help you feel the plane better, and land with greater precision. After all, you're flying the plane right? It's not flying you!

When I used to fly the Piper Cheyenne, I found that very pleasing landings could be obtained by using the electric trim to trim up through a certain speed over the fence. This was lazy, and potentially dangerous, should a go around be needed. I learned to just fly the plane properly, which will require some muscle from time to time...

I am very pleased with a tricycle landing, if at the time of the touch, the pitch control is most of the way nose up, and moved smoothly to full nose up to maintain the nose light attitude until you run out of elevator effectiveness, and the nose settles gently on, then still hold the nose light with full elevator until the plane has stopped rolling, simply to reduce the loads on the nose strut.