PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 6th Mar 2015, 12:59
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Farley, who did glide land Hawker Harriers, writes in his book:

"A few years later i found myself on Aero FLight at Bedford where we operated several very valuable single engine prototype research aircraft. The boffins were naturally very keen not to lose one of these just because the engine stopped. Without exception, the aircraft were all the aerodynamic opposite of a good glider. In the jargon they were very low lift over drag devices (low L/D) which meant that they all had very steep glide angles.

We have now arrived at one of the enduring myths of aviation. Aircraft that glide down at 30 or 40 [degrees] angle must be awful to land. Wrong. Totally wrong. They are the easiest of all so far as the final approach and landing goes. Only when I started practicing glide approach and landings for aircraft of that type did I start to get a 100% success rate with smooth touchdowns, just after the runway numbers, and at the correct speed.

Because of the steep glide angles, it is necessary to be pretty close to a suitable runway when the engine stops. The difficulty that had previously dogged me of looking out the window in order to judge the shallow glidepath and so how to fly round the circuit, just vanished. With the nose apparently pointing straight down at the ground you can see exactly where you will impact in you do nothing. Wind is not an issue and there is nothing to judge. All you do is throw down the gear and flaps dive at the flap limit speed and point the thing at the beginning of the lead in lights (or just short of the runway if there are no lead in lights). Then pull out of the dive at the last moment, and fly level, as low as you dare, until the speed bleeds to the one you want for touchdown."

John goes on to describe glide landing Hawker Hunters.

This is from page 354 of John's excellent book: "A View From the Hover"

It is probably the mindset we have for a "normal" circuit, and the need to be harmonious with traffic, which prevents pilots getting comfortable with different power off approach techniques.

I have flown the technique that John describes in the foregoing, in my 150, and it works fine. It also works in the 182 amphibian, and my Teal amphibian. This technique will be easier for helicopter trained pilots, who get used to picking a power off landing site in the area just above their toes on the pedals. Doddling around at "best glide speed", selecting the best field is not always the best plan.

Learning to do anything well, is more easily accomplished by removing variables while you practice. Learn the basics well, then begin to add the variables at the rate you can deal with them. The use of engine power is a variable, try to remove it from what you have to deal with while you work to perfect your landing technique.