PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEM Alignment
Thread: NEM Alignment
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2015, 12:35
Just This Once...

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiger16
Similar position to Backwards PLT - Flt Lt PAS, early 40's, AFPS 75.

Point is - it would appear advantageous to accept the alignment offer, and nearer to retirement age calculate if-and-when one will breach whatever the prevailing LTA figure is at the time. Should one breach the LTA figure before reaching 60 (and for Flt Lt PAS it'll be pretty close!) then a 6-month PVR would still be an option, having served >30 years.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something!
Very similar position to me as Sqn Ldr PAS in my early 40's with what will be a mixed AFPS75/15. The potential LTA is alarmingly close and an early PVR to avoid it would see the major benefits of service under AFPS15 drift off to whatever state pension age becomes. Leaving the pension scheme before hitting the LTA is another solution, but as already said this takes you out of the 4 times death in service too.

Al R has warned a few times that arguably the biggest risk to our pensions and tax liability is future legislation. It seems to be open-season on public sector pension schemes at the moment and the unpredictability of it all does not sit well with the commitment the Service expects from us.

Another apparent bitter pill is the loss of part of an AFPS75 pension should you PVR at any point in the future, even if at PVR you are on a completely different pension scheme. I think this is grossly unfair but it only effects those with AFPS75 service, not those who joined or transferred to AFPS05.

It is all getting rather complicated and uncertainty does not mix well with military service or pension schemes!