PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway excursion by DL MD-80
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2015, 11:13
e1229

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since this thread became a discussion about PAX carrying their luggages, my 2 cents. There are just 2 possible alternatives to avoid that:

1 - Don't allow any PAX to carry on their belongings. That way, there won't be much things to be taken out; or

2 - Try to understand why PAX do that, and act properly:

- You know that nobody cheks if each passanger has taken the correct luggage at the belt, so each PAX is responsible for checking it and complaining it someone took it by mistake. And very few can be done if someone just left the airport with your stuff. And very little indenization will be given to you, based on the weight of your luggage. Conclusion: PAX won't put valuable stuff on that, and will take it onboard

- I can't say that it's the rule, but many companies advise you that you shouldn't dispatch valuable itens, like notebooks. Again, PAX will take that onboard.

- Once onboard, you're advised to not forget your personal itens when you arrive. Fly more than once, and you'll have heard that many times: your goods are yours responsability.

And when something goes wrong, and puts you into some stressfull situation, you want people to think properly? In general their behavior will revert to some basic rules: must get out of here, I'm by my own, and I'm able (in the sense that "I can whithstand") taking all my things with me and rush to the exit.

Why would anyone not take his personal belongings? Will anyone stop thinking "this one second that I have to take my things might be precious to someone that is 15 rows behind me" ?