PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2015, 09:15
Just a spotter

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
@SH

It was the late Seamus Brennan TD, who as Minister for Transport in 1989 intervened to stop EI crushing (my term) FR, as it had done with a number of other potential startup competitors in the 80's. The routes ex-Dublin that were allocated to FR were Luton, Stansted, Liverpool and Munich. Brennan was one of the more pro-competition/pro-"open market" oriented members of Fianna Fáil, a position that put him somewhat at odds with the main body of the party. He used his power as Minister/regulator to allow a, then small airline, to get out from under the then all powerful State Flag Carrier.

From the Dáil record;

Mr. S. Brennan: I propose to take Questions Nos. 7, 17 and 63 together. On 20 September 1989, following a review which I had conducted of the recent performances of Aer Lingus and Ryanair, I announced a number of changes in the allocation of routes to the two airlines. These changes included the grant of sole operating rights to Ryanair on the Dublin to Luton, Stansted, Liverpool and Munich routes and to Aer Lingus on the Dublin to Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester and Paris routes.
Dáil Éireann - 01/Feb/1990 Ceisteanna ? Questions. Oral Answers. - Air Transport Policy.

JAS