PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway excursion by DL MD-80
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2015, 09:15
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Few Bags Seen, But...

Be for the Asiana smash at SFO, little was heard about SLCs taking their CO bangs with them. In that case, the pix of same were shocking and they raised the issue. As a general, vague cultural thing, Asians are more focused on the "Me and My Stuff" issue than are Western PAX. (Sorry, but true). Again general, Europeans and North Americans are more likely to leave the bag and Get (TF) out, perhaps knowing that time is important. Others, less familiar with CRASH scenarios may take their time, collect their goods and consider it a different, but ~~routine departure from the aircraft. Sad, not intended as racist, but painfully true. In any genuine evacuation, a few of the reported 'minor injuries during evacuation,' result from balkers (sp?) getting pushed from behind. Sorry honey... There are 50+ people behind you and none of them will wait while you decide whether the slide may run your panty hose or damage your new, oh so special skirt. If you do not move on your own, we'll help you and it may not be gentle. With your precious new purse - or with out it, get out of the [impolite word] airplane, NOW!
On the professional side, I have no clue what went wrong and I refuse to speculate. NTSB will issue a preliminary report in a few weeks and a final report in a bit more than a year. Until I see that detail I cannot speak about anything other than generic, often idiot passengers. Again, if the slide ahead of you is clear and the FA says GO, you'd better do it. If I'm behind you and you do not move, we may slide down together, simple because I AM going.
Darn few Grandmas and Grandpas read this space, so please share the details with your relatives. If they get a nudge or a shove, of even hollered at while trying to make up their minds, remember that there may be 50+ souls behind them, waiting to use that same exist door or hatch. We'll honor your dignity and modesty most of the time, dear, but not today. Today. get your fragile behind down that slide, NOW!