PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 6th Mar 2015, 07:26
MikeJulietHotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the OP. There have been a lot of good things said in this thread. Pace talked about energy management: controlling the descent of the aircraft isn't about one control, one outcome. Work with your instructor to understand the set of interactions you are working with. Remember that you don't get to understand the effects of controls chuntering along at 3,500' - you've got no point of reference except your altimeter and ASI. Near the ground you've got a concrete (!) point of reference and what you thought you knew about what control does what all of a sudden gets called into question. Get that right and then you'll get your final approach right.

I only ever learned to land the aircraft when I mastered the final approach...when it felt like I was sliding down final on rails, I all of a sudden found that I could miraculously land the aircraft.

The other point that's been made is that for all the time in the circuit the landing only takes a tiny fraction of that. Get on to your instructor and on a nil wind day, at some quiet strip, do a takeoff, a reversal turn at ~500', an approach, a landing, a takeoff, a reversal turn... It's amazing how many landings you get in an hour.

Another variant is to take off, climb to 800' or so on early downwind, cut the power and do a glide approach to land at the mid point of the runway, take off, then do it again and again.

I was subjected to both of these and it helped me to learn how to land, a thing that previously I never thought I would learn.

Having said that, my daughter who is a beautiful hands and feet pilot has a very dim view of my "competent" landings. As I round out with her in the right hand seat there is an audible intake of breath over the intercom and out of the corner of my eye I see her reflexively grabbing for the stick, only to restrain herself at the last moment. She always seems surprised when we sweetly kiss the ground. There's as many ways to land well as there are pilots. She just needs to have faith in her old man :-)