PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA seat selection
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2015, 07:08
Peter47

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see that BA have changed their policy on cheap short haul fares. I don't know if the system will be optimised to allocate a centre seat towards the rear with the hope that the customer pays extra for a better one (hopefully not). To me it is moving in the direction of LCCs and whilst I am happy to pay a small premium for the extra comfort of a legacy carrier, with the likes of easyJet moving upmarket this is harder to justify if the product is downgraded. What do others think?

From the BA website
ummary
On 26 March 2015 we are changing how you choose your seat on hand baggage only fares. For bookings made on or after this date, we will allocate you a seat when you check-in. Should you wish to change this seat, you'll be able to do so for a fee.
This change applies only to new bookings made on or after 26 March 2015. Any hand baggage only booking made before this date will still include free seat selection at check-in, even if the travel date is after this time.
More information
Hand baggage only are still our best value fares on shorthaul flights. They include the same great British Airways service, a generous hand baggage allowance, free check-in and complimentary drinks and snacks all at a great low price. Checked baggage can be added as an optional extra, and from 26 March seat selection will also be extra.
We know that many of our customers want to take only hand baggage with them and have no specific seating requirement and this change means we can continue to provide the lowest and most competitive fares. For those customers who do have specific seating requirements, other fare options are available and seat selection will be an optional extra.
How does this change affect me?
  • Existing hand baggage only bookings - if you have an existing hand baggage only booking, or make a hand baggage only booking before 26 March, this change does not apply to you. You will still be able to choose your seat for free when you check-in, even if you are travelling after 26 March.
  • Executive Club Members - for new bookings made on or after 26 March, seating benefits for Executive Club Members will apply to with baggage fares only. For hand baggage only fares, Executive Club Members of all tiers will be allocated a seat when they check-in and be able to choose an alternative seat for a fee.
  • Families - if you are travelling with an infant (under 2 years) you'll continue to be able to choose your seats for free at any time. If you're travelling with children (between 2 and 11 years), we'll allocate you seats a few days before departure. We'll aim to seat you together, but if this isn't possible children will at least be seated with one adult in the booking.
  • Customers with special assistance needs - if you require assistance because of a disability, please call us and we'll help you find the best seat to suit you for free, just as we do today.