PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 5th Mar 2015, 20:57
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck Ellesworth, your countdown as you near the ground does worry me.

On getting to twenty feet, you say 'FLARE NOW!" oops! all at once? I would not want my student to yank it from approach to flare, that is recipe for a balloon and how! The FLARE is a thing of beauty and must not be rushed.
So raise the nose a bit, and WAIT. Then a bit more and wait. and again.
Until you are floating along nicely in level flight a few feet above terra firma. If the student is having problems, demonstrate, and demonstrate again. Some instructors do not sufficiently demonstrate, trying to save the student money by letting him try try again...

This works for me in a Cessna, a Piper, a Beachcraft, a floatplane, or a glider, and that's what I teach, see my post on the other thread about learning to land.

You all have experienced a balloon? havn't you? finding yourself at ten to twelve feet up and no flying speed left....painful impact may follow. Unless you are ready to go around instantly....or landing with power as recommended by some contributors.

India Four Two, it wasn't me flying with the journalist. However, Fantome gives good advice, warn your pax when about to do something interesting.

I had a nervous passenger once, and on approach in a rented C172 at Baton Rouge airport in Louisiana, was asked by the tower to expedite, as a Boeing was following. So I waited to dump flaps until about to FLARE, and the flaps DIDN'T WORK. I said "O ****", as one does, and landed with no flaps, no big deal, but my passenger on hearing these words, was convinced it was his last moment! Lesson learned. With a passenger on board, or lots of passengers, no matter the problem, the PILOT must maintain a supreme air of SERENE and UNTROUBLED competence.....