PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I go for it?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2015, 20:14
Chris CPU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
View from a pilot

Hi

To sum it up: NO! Aviation nowadays has a big big downside you only see once you're in and then its usually too late to change your path of life (in other words you are committed and you will be willing to do almost anything it takes to get some hours) Now companies know that and they are willing to exploit young aspiring pilots which leads to pay to fly jobs.
I know how it feels, aviation has been my dream job all my life and I went into it via the military but now flying civil Im horrified and disappointed seeing what this once noble business has become:
It is exploiting the young pilots to the max. F.E.: I was flying with a young F/O the other day who told me he has a 185.000EUR loan for his training which he will pay back within the next 20-25! years, meaning that he will be only able to safe money at the age of 45-50!
Now quoting you: „when I'm 70-80 and thinking back to my life and it not at least chasing my dream upsets me“. I think nowadays a lot of young pilots will look back at the end of their career and be actually upset for chasing their lifelong dream!
Im sorry to break it down to you like that but with the money you safe now you will be able to pay for a decent education that will open the doors for a variety of jobs (not only one that you commit to for the rest of your life and that depends highly on the mood and performance of your employer as well as on your medical) where you will make more money over your career and if you still want to fly you will be able to do a PPL or even more in your spare time and enjoy flying while you're off.
Having said that I of course have also to admit that I love to fly and for me and a few other lucky once this is still a good job but with the general situation as it is in the industry right now I simply cannot recommend anyone to become a pilot with good conscience.