PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 5th Mar 2015, 19:36
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, and a glider has a lot of glidepath control by use of the airbrakes. Rather like a power lever, except never enough for a go around on a flat site. We did do go arounds at the Long Mynd on a west wind day when I flew gliders there, but I agree this isn't a usual situation.

Pace has made a very valid point. I envisage this as like having a scarf round the back of your neck. Hold each end in one hand (without crossing your arm or wrapping it round your neck......you don't want to strangle yourself) Now pull down with your right hand and what happens? Your left hand goes up, yes? So you can maintain a chosen glide path in the same way, more engine, less pitch down and vice versa, or steepen or flatten your glidepath by altering your power setting and attitude.

The trick with actually landing the aircraft is to throw it at the ground and not quite miss
The clever part involves doing it in the right place and in a way that suits the type of aircraft and runway. For the OP, this probably means standardisation of as many parameters as possible until he develops a feel for what is happening. It will come, and it is true that practice as regularly as possible is a good way of getting this feel.

As for the 45 hour goal.... It is possible, but might not be desirable. The PPL has been described as a licence to learn. No reason not to get some of the learning first, you will need to spend the time and money at some point, whether before or after you get the piece of paper probably won't make any difference.