PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India hiring A320 Type rated Captains and FO
Old 5th Mar 2015, 18:04
cyrilroy21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A guardian angel of the young newbies, if you don't mind my saying so!
Haha

While I am far from being a guardian angel the number of scams I have seen actually outnumber the number of genuine vacancies...

On top of that Indian Aviation is littered with pitfalls everything from the pilot licensing to the DGCA exams

Candidates do a type rating for many reasons a few are mentioned below

1. A belief that they have something over the other candidates that make them stand out

2. Large number of A320 on order so definitely vacancies will come out

3. Somebody told them that a particular airline will come out with type rated vacancies

4. They know someone who can help get them in if they do a type rating

5. They know someone who was type rated and got the job and hence they follow the same path hoping for the same success

This is usually aggravated when a CPL holder sitting at home for years and another freshly minted CPL holder goes and gets a type rating and then gets the job

6. DGCA CPL expires in 5 years . Doing a type rating within 6 months automatically counts towards the renewal requirements . So those waiting for so long believe that for 5 years nobody hired me with just a CPL perhaps doing a type rating now will improve my chances

7. Most airlines in India would rather hire someone with 200 hours and a type rating than hire someone who has 1500 hours of piston or turboprop experience

Reasons I have seen for doing an ATR type rating is to again be different from the rest of the crowd that did a type rating.

ATR type ratings are usually much cheaper than A320 or 737

Most candidates are able to afford atleast 1 type rating without having to take a loan . Although some take a loan and get it done because they some source of income to pay off the EMI
If they get a job on another aircraft other than the one they are type rated on they will then usually have to take a loan for that