PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 5th Mar 2015, 15:46
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How awful for poor naval aviators for they won't get signed off by chuck as they come in with power and ADD power on touchdown in case of a bolter?
Skyhighfallguy I do not want to get into a personal dick measuring contest with anyone here, for some reason you are fixated on parts of what I post here.

Nowhere have I said that landing power off is of any more importance than any other type of approach and landing, what I have said is if a student can not comfortably do such an approach and landing I will not sign them off.

I have learned a new word here though but never heard " bolter " used in flight training and I have worked a whole lot in the flight training sector of aviation.

This is the private pilot forum and discussions about how to fly jet aircraft has no real value for the average private pilot.

However between you and I, I worked for Airbus Industries for two years and was trained in their test flying department in Toulouse France by all of their test pilots so I think I understand the use of power in jet aircraft.

With regard to soft field landings and the use of power, somewhere in your comments I believe you claimed you must use power.

Really?

I flew DC3's in the high arctic on wheel skis for many years including thousands of off airport landings and quite often did " Soft field " type landings at zero thrust at touch down and the landings were exactly what I wanted.

There is no one size fits all in flying airplanes, you must however be very skilled in every aspect of airplane handling of which power off landing is only one technique.

With regard to teaching on amphibians. One of the most lucrative of my training services was doing type ratings in the PBY.

During the water training portion of the training the students first lesson that had to be mastered was consecutive three minute, three hundred feet high circuits with all landings being performed with the throttles closed from 200 feet above the water.

Once they were comfortable with that we moved on to more demanding flying.

Last edited by Chuck Ellsworth; 5th Mar 2015 at 16:47.