PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 5th Mar 2015, 14:34
Amblikai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm only half way through my PPL but i thought i'd post with a little of my experience since i'm doing it at the moment! I don't find landing hard, in fact i really enjoy it! Sometimes it's the best part of flying!

Anyway, the first time i did circuits i was up for an hour and got 8 T+Gs and a landing. I greased every one of them! I got cocky.

The very next time we went up, i think i got maximum 4 actual contacts with the runway in the space of an hour, the rest were go-arounds. The 4 times i did touch terra firma, we're very hard and in one i came very close to stuffing it prop first into the runway. I found out how quick my instructor's reactions were that day!

We went back to basics and broke everything down along the lines of what everyone has already said (don't let it land, the point of flare etc) and i got the hang of it again.

Which brings me to the best thing i ever did for landing practice. My second session of flying circuits solo, i went up to practice the unusual landings (glide/flapless) and once i'd got a few dialled in i just started messing around!

I'm training at Prestwick which affords the luxury of a really long runway, so i tried landing with more and more power until i found the point at which it definitely wouldn't land (about 1900rpm in the AA5A i'm flying), holding it just a few inches off the runway. It really gives you a feel for ground effect and gives you more time to get used to what things look like that close to the runway.

After that i started trying to land it on the mainwheels and give just enough power to keep the nosewheel a little off the ground before taking off again. (I thought i might get a discount on my T+Gs since only 2/3rds of the wheels were touching the runway.)

Anyway, don't take my advice without speaking to your instructor first but i found it really valuable and i'm quite comfortable now with accurately putting it where i want it.