PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish A330 incident, Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2015, 14:01
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's a hard commercial world but I have to ask ; Any Commanders out there ? Haven't waded through all posts but what was the FORECAST weather at time of departure? Don't care about the actual. I used to work for a fabbo outfit that forbade a departure if the forecast, for the time of arrival was below limits.

Yes we tank as much fuel because of the high cost out of KTM. Gives credibility to departing and taking up the hold but a very weak commercial decision eh ? I pointed out to Commercial that it costs fuel to carry fuel and if we knowingly depart in order to take up a two hour hold, we might, surely be facing tea & bickies with the Fleet Manager (?).............I was politely shown the door !

I checked in, another time, for KTM, faced the same old problem and delayed departure for two hours. We got in at the first attempt as the "fog" cleared rapidly within twenty minutes of arrival. Again, back at Base, ventured up to Commercial to ask why we scheduled arrivals, not only to KTM but all over Northern India into known fog ! Big delays, huge disruption etc. Quick tweak of around two hours and problem solved. Again, I was shown the door.

Commanders out there....................make that Command decision and delay departure. Might save a prang and might save lives.