PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 5th Mar 2015, 10:47
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't this be a fabulous idea for a PPRuNe fly-in, land on a carrier all together?
Maybe not all together, one at a time would be fine.

Having thought about this (I like the 'unconscious competence' remark, more like unconscious incompetence in my case...) I think that if you are a stude bashing the cct then flying by the numbers until you get it right is fine, I'm not an instructor by the way so am willing to be shot down over this. But once you have your licence and start visiting short strips, longer GA fields and big international places then every landing needs a different approach; I don't mean approach as in approach path.

So your 500 mtr grass strip with the xwind needs a different set of skills to your 3000 mtr international field on a calm day. But isn't that the great bit about flying? Every flight is different. I fly powered from a couple of fields and gliders from another. One field you can fly tight oval 'Spitfire' ccts which are by far my favourite and the ones I find easiest, the other requires a square cct for noise issues and takes up half the county and then the glider field is a dog leg cct. Every one is different on every flight.

It would be boring if we could learn a set of numbers that made every landing at every field the same.