PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 5th Mar 2015, 08:55
LS-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cgwhitemonk11
I must say I laugh at all the guys saying how knackered they are, I used to work 16 hour shifts on my feet back to back on less than 'minimum rest!!!' .....

Never had an easier job than flying for an airline, you all need a reality check.
Granted any job you have been doing for 20+ years will be tiring and there is no doubt it seems to be harder on the older guys, which I understand. But go out into the real world and see the dwindling T&C's across the board, and the next time you complain about doing 6 sectors think of the dispatchers and fuelers pulling 10-14 hour shifts on pay.
I've previously been working relatively long shifts on my feet (with a good deal of carrying, running, climbing and so on) as unskilled labour in a poor work environment with lacking resources. The job turned into an unconventional effort to compensate for the shortcomings of local management. Minimum salary, poor terms. Things improved dramatically only after a corporate intervention.

It was an experience, to say the least. But I fail to see any rationale to use that experience to somehow justify deteriorating terms and conditions in commercial aviation, especially in light of the safety aspect. I don't expect golden salaries/pension/insurance compared to other industries in the same country, but I do expect professional treatment and a sound respect for margins.