PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 5th Mar 2015, 07:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most challenging approach and landing I made was a year ago last february into Doncaster at night with worse winds than forecast and at all the alternatives as well in a Biz Jet

The winds were 50 KTS Gusting up to 80 KTS, Shop fronts were being blown in.
Lorries were being blown over and at Doncaster 10 degrees off the runway

the landing itself was smooth and the jet stopped in a very short distance the worst was wind shear meaning I had to hold 170 KTS down the approach with speed indications dropping as low as 125KTS huge wing drops until we got closer to the runway where things smoothed out a little.

On the ground it took two of us to hold the controls as we taxied in and the marshaller literally got blown off his feet.

i will give you another account again of a business jet pilot I knew who landed a Citation into Edinburgh at an radar depicted speed of 200 KTS well over the tyre limiting speed. The pilot had control problems where he felt the minimum speed he could use was 200 KTS Mad Jock who posts here was there at the time.

There is a misconception that landing an aircraft is about the aircraft touching down at near or at its stall speed in a given configuration.
that is a misconception of landing.

Of course its the norm in light aircraft and especially in large passenger jets to land as close to its flying speed as possible to minimise the amount of runway they require to stop but the Jet that landed at Edinburgh at 200 KTS still stopped on the runway albeit at way way over 1.3 times its stall speed.

with what Chuck said about any aircraft can landing without power which is correct I have chucked these talking points in because of the misconception that landing is one way and that is 1.3 times the stalling speed VREF and holding off till near the stall. that is the usual way but not the only way and maybe not something to confuse a student over

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 5th Mar 2015 at 07:52.