PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 5th Mar 2015, 03:51
skyhighfallguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do gliders manage? I don't know, haven't flown one.

How does the space shuttle manage? Don't know, haven't flown it.

But how do you land a two engine jet in bad weather, battling winds and keep the engines spooled up so as to have reverse handy?

Why do airliners, or anyone flying anything flying a CAT I ILS, with a DH of 200' NOT cut their throttles at 200'?

How do you demonstrate a power on approach if you cut the throttles at 200'?

Try this once. Get a shirt load of ice on your wings and cut the throttle(S) at 200' and make the runway.

How do you do a ''soft field'' landing if you cut the throttles, even though the technique is to land with power?

How awful for poor naval aviators for they won't get signed off by chuck as they come in with power and ADD power on touchdown in case of a bolter?

Can you land by cutting power at 200'? Sure, who can't? But should you?

I've seen people fly power idle approaches (called formaldehyde glides) from 20,000' to the runway no problem. OH, but if you are unspooled, try going around if a truck comes out on the runway. ASK the 737 pilot at Santa Ana (SNA) who couldn't go around cuz he was unspooled.

Some people seem to think that always practicing a power off landing will make you ready for an engine failure. Well, you should practice all the aspects of flying and you will be ready.

Can I land something from 200' power off? Sure. But perhaps some of us need the wisdom to know when to do it. Especially those pointing fingers on this thread.

Power off landings actually require little skill compared to precise flying using all the features of the modern plane. By taking power adjustments out of the equation, you are in essence taking something away from the airplane. It would be like a musician, a virtuoso playing the violin with only 3 strings and not 4.

Sure, know how to land from 200' without power. From 800' too. From 4000' in a spiral to the downwind.

But you are just playing "chopsticks" on the piano and not the "12th street rag" or "NOLA".