PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 4th Mar 2015, 19:13
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuellers

I just wanted to comment on the poster who said he has to laugh at pilots saying how knackered they are - well it depends massively on what kind airline you fly for and what your sector lengths are. I fly for a regional - duty days are 8-11 hours, 4-6 flights a day (usually 4), roster pattern is 5 days on, 2 days off and I get up at 4.15am as many as 4 days in a row. As a right seat FO in my company with 7 years experience I learned recently that I earn LESS than the fuellers at Manchester - that's right the guy fuelling the plane makes more money than the guy flying it!! Mid to high £30's is what we earn and just bear in mind that a year 1 qualified train driver starts on £44k and I can assure you is far better protected in terms of rest breaks and days worked - they certainly aren't working 5 on 2 off I can assure you, and nor are the dispatchers, the fire crews, our own crewing dept, the engineers or anybody else. Try supporting a wife and kids on £35k in the South of England!!

You might have joined BA or Easyjet, you might be on £110k a year as an Easyjet Capt after 8 years with your 5/3 5/4 roster pattern but some of us are trapped on turboprops in the regionals or in Monarch in the right seat (which also pays £35k) where there has been restructuring and are working a heck of a lot harder for a lot less money.

Oh if somebody can send me a contact at TAG that sounds amazing!!