PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 4th Mar 2015, 18:10
150 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just re-read the OP

"still on track to get to test standard in 45 hours."

When I had my first lesson (about 5 years ago) I read '45 hours' and treated it like a checklist. Every hour flown was an hour closer to the magic 45 and the licence. Nobody corrected me.

45 came and went. And because I 'knew' that was 'all' you needed to do I started getting agitated, frustrated that my Instructor was still saying I needed more hours, annoyed that the bank balance kept going down and that the magic finish line kept being moved back. It didn't help that I'd told the family that it was 45 and there was only £X more to spend to get there.

In the late 60's the magic day came and I was deemed good enough to hold a licence. But to me that was a disappointment because I obviously wasn't a good pilot, otherwise I'd have got it in 45 like everyone else does. Right ?

It wasn't until I started talking to others and reading forums like this that I realised how few (if any ?) people get there in 45 hours. If I'd known this I'd have taken a whole load of pressure off and I'd have enjoyed those last few pre test hours a lot more.

So, whilst I'm not out to puncture any bubbles, personally I'd treat a "still on track to get to test standard in 45 hours" comment with a pinch of salt.

Enjoy, after all, flying is flying whether or not the seat beside you is empty or with an Instructor.