PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 4th Mar 2015, 17:42
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dacca Airlift

I well remember recieving one of the aircraft used on that job at Colerne. Not long after the event, said Albert turned up ready for its Base 3, and we, as always, were eager to ply our trade. When we lifted the floors we found enough foreign loose change to keep your average numismatist busy for a few days, and it was obvious that the refugees did not appreciate the in flight rations offered by our crews as they did their work. The Base 3 was eventually extended, to accomodate the foul state of the aircraft. I note that on "another forum" an attempt is afoot for ex Colernites to reunite, could be interesting.

It was a great effort by our aircrew and support to accomplish, and should always be to their credit, I'm sure many never thought to check what the refuges were throwing away, and where. And who could blame them ? Coff me boy keep the home fire burning, whilst some, like myself, take a "monitoring" role for a while. Nice to see MAMS making some noise again, it was ever thus

Smudge