PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Pilots Not Happy
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2015, 15:57
Direct Bondi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am truly impressed with the cohesion and resolve of the striking pilots. I support them 100%.

several colleagues have reported "unfit to fly" when rostered out of their EURO bases to fly in Scandinavia. For the moment that is the only option available to them without risking dismissal.
"without risking dismissal" - Norwegian contractors should fully review the content of their respective AGENCY contracts:

Authority
The Crew Member shall be subject to the operational control of the Present Lessee and the Present Lessee shall have the authority to supervise, direct and control the Crew Member in accordance with the Present Lessee's standard procedures and requirements. (or similar).

Termination
A notice of 30-days is required for voluntary termination by both parties. Notice shall be in writing etc etc.
(name of agency) may terminate this Agreement with immediate effect at any time, without notice, if the Crew Member: .....fails or refuses to carry out the specified services under this agreement. (or similar).

Bottom Line:
After Crew Plan calls and you refuse to zip over to Scandinavia and replace a striking colleague - Grounds for immediate termination.
Call in sick after such instructions - May be fired with 30 days notice, no reason required (voluntary termination clause).

Remember what happened at the end of 2012? - all contractors were fired on 30-days notice and required to accept a new contract or hit the road. Which reveals an additional point, your contract is only ever really valid for 30-days.

If any contractor is fired for not wishing to be a strikebreaker, there is absolutely nothing you will be able to do about it because you DO NOT have an employer/employee relationship with Norwegian. Your employer is the respective agency.

I doubt the EU will act to end this abhorrent agency business model. Contractors flying for Norwegian have a golden opportunity to join their Scandinavia colleagues and demand you ALL be included in a collective agreement and that Norwegian is your "employer". At such time you will truly be ONE GROUP OF NORWEGIAN PILOTS.