PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 4th Mar 2015, 14:37
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took up skiing 6 years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I approached turns much too slowly and sure enough one leg went one way the other another way and I ended up on my back, front head you name it I was there.
By the end of the day I was black and blue with no confidence in what I was doing.
flying! Riding a bike is the same one day it will click and you will get to the point that you will land without thinking about it! It will be instinctive.
At the moment you are not really in control of your landings, you are probably coming down the approach fingers crossed that you will arrive OK.
The fact that with Skiing I progressed to skiing a few blacks was amazing from those early days so you will do it.
one excellent lesson if you have access to a long runway is not to land but fly 2 feet off the runway! Get used to flying near the runway! Do more upper air work using the rudder. check the effects. use the other controls in the same way get used to them and then use them in combination. Go up on strongish crosswind days and just track the centreline! Don't land.
Get familiar with the controls to the point that you can think about what you are doing at the weekend and still land the plane.
A lot is confidence as in Skiing and fear of the unknown or unfamiliar

Pace