PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Follow My Dream.. Or Not?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2015, 12:39
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy.....Like some other posters, I let life and family sidetrack me.
I am NOT a pilot . The cost of getting there is considerable.....while i dither, I also look at the options......in your case......
Don't bother about the speech....when you get to your trial flight, you'll note the intercom will chop the first little bit anyway, (voice-switched)...so, an "erm" or "uh" opens the microphone and the whole sentence is then heard....I found it irritating when the pilot was pointing out stuff...."Ver there....ts barton bridge......Olton on your right......."
or..."Rm Over there....rm..That's barton bridge....rm Bolton on your right...."
Trust me, the odd stutter or brain-fart is a minor detail.

As cash is an issue, first-off, get a proper log-book or even an ordinary note-book will suffice....have a trawl through the various forums and you'll see it's simple to record in columns , the required info.
A trial LESSON counts towards your time, IF YOU LOG IT AND GET IT SIGNED BY THE INSTRUCTOR (saves £100, have a beer!)
Consider going for Microlight....a 3-axis "proper " aeroplane can fall into this category...BUT It will not give you a PPL on a commercial career -path..... so, blow a couple of hundred going for a Class 1 aero-medical. If you pass, start your PPL....if you fail....start your PPL, but , consider the short, quicker, cheaper, non-commercial Microlight -route (I suppose you could always progress to being a Microlight instructor! )
You need a LOT of money to become an Airline pilot and it is NOT like bimbling around in a light aircraft.
If you enjoy your trial lesson....or even a few lessons, get your class 1 out of the way, BEFORE you make any decision about type of licence and type of training. depending on that, you'll know wether to pursue an Aviation career or an expensive hobby.

Flying....cheapest, probably paragliding...then parascending? (same thing but a motor and fan on your back)....then gliding /hang-gliding.

you then move up to the Flexwing microlight 3-axis microlight, Single engine Piston( IIRC, a "simple" fixed-gear, fixed-pitch prop, is Group"A" ) which would be a PPL in all probability (there are so many licence variations and the situation is fluid at the moment! )

Now, let's assume you have a Class 1 medical, a couple of lessons and definitely want to become a commercial pilot.
Another money saver..... not without it's difficulties, but...
Older, "Orphan" aircraft which have no manufacturer to support them, or HOMEBUILT aircraft are on a Permit to Fly....you cannot rent them or hire them out, BUT you can buy one, get an instructor to teach you on your own aircraft and get your PPL.... there are hoops to jump through, the hardest probably being to find a registered training organisation that is willing to "supervise" this route.
"Flyer Forum" and the Light Aircraft Association are good starting points.
do it!...fancy car, wife, kids, mortgage can all come later.