PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Heathrow - Welcome to ATF !
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2003, 06:07
DFWcowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Heathrow - Welcome to ATF !

Hello LONDON

For about sixteen months we have been developing an automated "Tower" facility (ATF) with a company called Texas Traffic Systems (TTS). At the end of shift today we were told that you boys in little England were the people who wanted it ready for 2008. The First to buy ! Many congrats folks.

I've gotta say guys, your a brave bunch if you have this by 08, its not ready to take the capacity of movements that we have been told you guys at London Heathrow get today! Ground Controlling will still be done by one of your men (and Ladies if you have them of course) But Tower Departures and Arrivals of your capacity is 40% over its current software capabilities.

The Contingency Controller doesn't have to step in much when we run DFW or LAX simulations, It will in your senario. The biggest problem so far is integrating systems such as SMR, TCAS, Mode A,C,S. The Automatan doesn't necessarily choose the right order according to MDI's ! BUT the goaround function is damn damn good. I know 2008 is a longtime a way to you guys but its justa round the corner to us.

Although I'm excited about ATF, if its employed at London Heathrow they said today it will reduce the workforce buy 20-30, but they will be redeployed to other units. Is that right? or will people actually lose jobs? The briefing today stated a shortage of traffic controllers throughout England, I hope thats true.

Let me know if they are telling us a rat pack of lies cos we developed ATF as a tool to get rid of the boring jobs with repetative phraseology, rather than put people out of work!

Cheers y'all