PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pedals - Feet placement
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2015, 04:16
stilton

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Never flown a Helicopter (as much as I would like to) but I've been a professional fixed wing Pilot for 35 years and with rare exceptions I can tell you that nearly all of us keep our heels on the floor when operating the rudder pedals.

Of course you slide your feet up to operate the brakes when needed (and may keep them there for a long taxi) but otherwise you keep your toes away from the brakes. As stated already lifting your whole foot up on to the pedals to operate the rudders / tail rotor / nosewheel steering makes you very clumsy, losing most of your dexterity in the process.

There is a small group of FW pilots that believe in having your feet all the way up on the pedals at all times and attempt to operate the rudders / nosewheel steering with their heels.

You can always tell this behaviour as they immediately lurch all over the place, they are wrong in their 'technique' it is not recommended by any manufacturer or authority I'm aware of and I always tell them to stop it immediately