PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash near M1
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 22:30
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS

I am sorry I didn't get back to your post sooner.
Just to clarify I have great respect for your careful posts and perceptive level thoughts.

It is a shame that Pulp Fiction would be required to get you in a Robby, not sure you're being objective.

The reason I say you appear to be 'anti Robbo' is that you are posting many Robbo related poor examples. Of course there are many examples but then there are many of them around. The HeliHub extract is propogandist since if you do a type unspecified data pull you see that there is a heavy input from other types. Appearing to be at least proportionate to their numbers.

It would not be surprising if highly trained two crew helicopters flying simple A-B routes were to outperform private pilots. They OUGHT TO. I think private pilots (or Robby pilots) do a pretty good job on balance. Of course I would not deny that there are a few (really) daft examples, but then there have been cringleworthy examples in the commercial twins too, haven't there? (AJ, Paul McCartney, Haughey, NS Instrument App (several times), EPTS Gazelle, Chelsea Execs x2 etc)

We have just witnessed the most extaordinary set of sophisticated twins crashing mostly through appauling flying practices by (apparently) experienced highly qualified non-amateurs. AW139, A109x2, S76(outrageous near miss), AS332 etc etc

It's a bit rich to hit the private Robby pilots. Especially if you wont even go in one!

4 embarassing Robbos recently reflect that training occurs in them and that 'handling skills' are being phased out by the 'authorities' and all 4 have been without serious injury. We have a consensus here that 'handling skills' are missing, but that is a direct result of policy, it is less important than how to fill out a form apparently. (Agree SS you finger handling, but it is wider than the Robbo fleet, as in the examples above)

VF is admired for his beautiful pictures, and his excellent result after engine failure (AS350) in the mountains, but I doubt if I am alone in finding that his 'Crapinson' remarks reflect badly on him. I believe a friend of his was killed in one, I don't know the cause, but presume it must have been a(n extremely rare) mechanical failure? What were the circumstances VF?

The helicopter is exceptionally well designed, efficient, reliable, simple and accessible. It has revolutionised and revitalised the helicopter industry.

(and those spreading the myth that there aren't any mil accidents should be ashamed, YOU know that there are countless cockups often, they don't seem to be reported as often as they occur though, i wonder why that is? Think back, be honest. Having watched an afternoon of EOLs at Strawberry I can say a strong tailboom looks like a useful thing!)