PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe -V- BA. The age old question.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 22:05
Budding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flybe -V- BA. The age old question.

Ok, so I know it's not an age old question but i'm curious to know people's thoughts.

BA will pay more - £40,000 – TBC.
BA is a ‘better’ company.
BA offers a better package.
BA offers more locations (inc. London) – confirm?
BA will allow me to fly a jet.
BA offer a better ATPL course.

BA is a bigger company so I am one of many.
BA time to captain is 15 years, no progression here?
A Jet is arguably less interesting to fly that a regional turbo-prop.
BA is also a LOT harder to get in to that most other airlines.

Flybe is a smaller company and more of a team.
Flybe will allow me to progress to Captain in roughly 3 years.
Flybe offer an aircraft that is more fun to fly.
Flybe will offer more money after roughly 3 years as a Captain - £69,000

Flybe will ‘lock’ me in to flying the turbo-prop.
Flybe will limit my locations.
Flybe will pay me less - £28,000.
Flybe only provide the MPL course.

I'm genuinely trying to compare the 2, everyone tells me the obvious answer is BA but really, why?

Consider pay to start with, we are looking at a difference of about £12k, ok that's substantial but you'll jump to roughly £69k as a Flybe Capt whilst your BA opo will still be a FO on how much?

Consider the flying. Ok so the turbo-prop won't let you fly a jet but then why would you want to? The turbo prop sounds more fun and regional flights see you do a lot more real hands on flying (lots of take-offs and landings)

I just feel like all BA give me is a slightly better pay packet and let me fly a jet to be more employable in the future. BUT what if I don't want to fly a jet and what if you consider that you'll be a captain far quicker with Flybe?

So it sounds like i'm sold on Flybe but my serious concerns are...

First, where will I be based?
I have recently moved to London with my long term girlfriend and hope to remain there, or nearby. Can Flybe do this? I know they fly from London City and plan to expand in the future (maybe in 2yrs when I finish training?). If not London, where else am I likely to end up and how much of a say do I get in this?
Being able to see my girlfriend is an important issue for me, some of you may question my commitment but i've spent the last 8 years 'away from home' and have finally settled back in London.

Secondly, if I fly with Flybe and wish to later transfer to another company/aircraft how easy/difficult would that be? As I understand it I would have to complete a new type rating and would be transferring across with zero hours flying time on a jet. I'm also told due to the weight of the A/C my hours may not count at all?
As I said earlier I like the sound of regional flghts on the Dash but I don't know what the future will bring and what I 'might' want to do, so I think it's important to understand my options. What about the possibility of an internal 'transfer' from the Dash to the Embracer. If I've served 3+ yrs with Flybe and qualified as Captain and my plan is to fly jets surely they will sooner see me re-train with them than leave Flybe and move to another company or will I simply be stuck? Let's say I HAVE to move from Turbo-prop to jet, how would I do it?

I appreciate this is a mass of questions, you'll also realise from this post that I'm starting to research now so there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge. I feel like my reasoning is sound and i've thought about it but I stand ready to be completely re-educated...

I look forward to any help, whilst i'm sure many of you will look at this and think 'idiot', BA is obviously the answer. Consider my points and please explain why.

Thank you in advance.