PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 20:32
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend who is a heart & lung surgeon; his wife is a gynaecological surgeon. Their stories about their rosters scares the living, or not, daylights out of me. They do not have an autopilot/autoland; they do not have check lists; they do not have a roster that allows protected sleep before major ops. They do a duty day and then 12 hours SBY: with a young family. An op can take 5-10 hrs and call out can be in the middle of the night, or just as you go to bed. It's frightening; and their dept's are as cash strapped as airines claim to be. Difference is the hospitals are not share-holder driven, but they are performance factor driven: comes to the same thing. The heart dept can only afford operations 4 days per week, because of funds. It is the greatest cause of death in some age groups. Not enough dosh, so die.
We are not alone. But money continues yet to wash its way around the financial system and markets. Bonuses are being paid to . Please! Priorities. Sometimes it makes me humble.