PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEM Alignment
Thread: NEM Alignment
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 17:14
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd get nothing back, and you'd get nothing extra because the scheme membership is (notionally anyway) non contributionary. But as we know, salary is abated to reflect the accrual of benefits. I don't think there's a right or a wrong answer as everyone's needs are different, but it might be the lesser of two evils.

Interesting and potentially worrying too, for anyone reaching 55 shortly after the April/AFPS15 transition handover - if that person isn't transiting onto '15, it looks like they will be pension orphans. So given that it's AFPS scheme membership which offers the death in service benefits, is there going to be an issue there too I wonder?

It certainly presents a dilemma, and one that cropped up after chatting to someone recently and when reviewing a file; maybe voxpop could offer some clarity on how the scheme is going to handle this? Or is there something blindingly obvious that I've missed in how NEM is going to work for those extending from 55 to 60 and therefore, more likely to breach their LTA?