PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways,fleet and seniority
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2003, 04:55
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not meaning to "disagree" with ETOPS, partly another PoV, partly where I differ with him, partly filling in what's missed:

<<Do all pilots on entry to BA start off on the 32X +757/767 families?>>
As ETOPS said - A32x LHR for most 'cadets' (TEPs in BA speak) - or 737 LGW. Some have been via BACX with recent turmoil.. and some now going 757/767.
Experienced "DEPs" can go anywhere, from the above fleets, to LH, depending on choice / luck / timing / types on licence.

<<Is there a set pattern of RHS 320 or 757/767 family,followed by RHS on either the 772 or 744 followed by starting off on the LHS of the short-haul fleet again?>>
IMHO, not really - and certainly not before the new Pay Deal. There are stuck in the wool SH pilots, and same LH - who would forego a SH command to stay P2 LH until a LH P1 slot came to their seniority. The new Pay Deal has altered the finances of this, and there has a been a great "equalling" of the seniority required to gain any command - be it C744, or C737 LGW. This may well be "temporary" as everyone adjusts to the new Pay Deal - I suspect it will go back to quite different seniorities required once the musical chairs has occurred in, say 2-4 years.

<<How long on average,does it take to reach command with BA?>>
I have been in BA less than 7 years, and just achieved a SH LHR command. Lucky with repect to the new Pay Deal... When I joined, a SH LHR command was taking nearly 20 years - 2 years later it was 10, and I made it in 6.5. Over these years, a LGW 737 command could be made in 1-2 years if you had the hours. The new Pay Deal has immediately increased that probably to 10 (?), even for 737 LGW. The future - who knows?

<<There are no restrictions about short to long haul or vice versa but there are experience level restrictions which tend to mean a first move from co-pilot to Captain would be on a shorthaul type....>>
Slightly disagree with ETOPS here. The only experience levels I know of in BA are for P2 LH (need ATPL for Pi/c in Heavy crewing), and command for any fleet. Years needed for SH v LH command come down to seniority, not experience.

NoD

Last edited by NigelOnDraft; 9th Jun 2003 at 06:33.