PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - buying a plane
Thread: buying a plane
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 09:48
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's our pleasure Ronny, It is why we participate. No matter what you do in life, someone has probably gone before, and their advice has some merit...

Only you know what type will meet your mission needs, but the biggest mis step I see in this is the selection of an aircraft type for personal use which exceeds the need and budget. I see so many "bigger" planes just sitting derelict at airports, while the lower cost/capability aircraft get used.

Last week I was at a UK airport for a few days, musing about a twin Cessna which has evidently sat for a very long time, with a fellow who has sold his PA28, to buy a newer two place aircraft.

I own one two place and one three place aircraft. I can borrow any of several very capable four place Cessnas if I need one. My best advice (particularly for your first aircraft) ease in to ownerships with a good condition version of the lesser type that will meet your needs. You can trade up, if you got it wrong, but in the mean time, you get the ownership experience without the big shocks [of maintenance] along the way.

Twin Cessnas (310, 303, 337) are great planes, but they are being captured by structural inspections which can range from $50,000 to $100,000. The inspections are warranted. Twin Pipers (indeed all legacy low wing Pipers) are parts availability challenged. I suggest that upon considering the true "mission" you need to accomplish, you narrow down to a few similar capability types which will do it, and come back and ask for experience on those types, particularly maintenance cost experience.

We're always here to help...